tagline

One woman's adventures in cooking for her Dutch-American family.









Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Suzy's Mashed Red Potatoes

I admit it. I'm kind of a potato snob. I grew up on red potatoes fresh from our garden. And who wouldn't potatoes that don't have to be peeled. Since the hubs' homeland is a wee fond of potato-based meals, we eat a fair share of red potatoes.

As part of operation "make hubs happy," I made my first ever mashed potatoes to go with his chicken fried steak. I've never made them before because they seemed like something that would be time intensive and maybe tricky. I didn't have to worry. They turned out wonderfully. In the future, I might reduce the milk and butter, as it was a little more liquidy than I prefer, but the taste was perfection.

Suzy's Mashed Red Potatoes

Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Ready In: 30 Minutes
Servings: 8

Ingredients:
  • 2 pounds small red potatoes, quartered
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • salt and pepper to taste
Instructions:
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add potatoes, and cook until tender but still firm, about 10 minutes.

I chopped my potatoes a little smaller than quarters so they would cook better.

The potatoes are done when a fork can easily slide through a single piece.
  • Drain, and place in a large bowl.


  • Combine potatoes with butter, milk, sour cream, salt, and pepper.
    I would play with the amount of liquid...and maybe substitute garlic salt.
    We LOVE garlic!

  • Mash together until smooth and creamy.
Nutrition Information
Servings: 8
Calories: 214

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...